Yes, we all know it’s ‘the most important meal of the day’ but… do you eat breakfast?
I admit that for a long time, I did not. Mostly because I am not much of a morning person. Still not. When I did start eating breakfast, it was more like, grab a Special K bar before heading out the door. Even now, I’m not a huge breakfast fan unless it involves my sister’s oatmeal pancakes or a nice crab cakes benedict (anything with poached eggs really).
The issue with breakfast is I want something that’s energizing, not too filling, and of course yummy. These days, my very fancy breakfast usually consists of anything that’s easy to grab-and-go like these oatmeal applesauce blueberry muffins (which I waxed poetics about in my NY Diet). These muffins are the perfect on-the-go, nutritious breakfast. Seriously, I love these. I even eat them as a sweet treat after dinner. Bake a batch over the weekend then refrigerate them so you’ll be sure to have breakfast all during the week… if they last that long.
Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
adapted from Joy the Baker
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cups oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk (I used soymilk)
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
(1) Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
(2) In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
(3) In a medium bowl whisk together the applesauce, milk, sugar, oil, egg and vanilla.
(4) Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. As with most batters, it’s better to not overmix; a few lumps of flour are fine.
(5) Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full (about ¼ cup).
(6) Bake for 16-18 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before taking out and cooling on a wire cooling rack.
Makes 12 muffins